About the Biz...
PIP Bed 2, October 2004.
Click thumbnail for larger
Greenhouse and Tarps 1-2,   
looking east.
Click thumbnail for larger view.
Irrigation system inside
Click thumbnail for larger view.
Black-Eyed Susans, August
2005.  Click thumbnail for larger
Theriault's Buds & Blooms has been a dream of mine since the 1980's.  From a very
young age, anything green that grew and bloomed held my interest, and I wanted to be
able to sell plants for a living. Nearly two decades later, I entered the green industry as a
salesperson in perennial retail.  I spent almost six years with that nursery before moving
onto another nursery for three years as a salesperson in their wholesale division.  
Concurrently, I've been quite an avid gardener, and many of the plants appearing on the
info pages elsewhere on this site started in my yard in Michigan.

I have the great fortune of having family with some land and I began turning my hobby
into a livelihood.  I started small in 2003, with about 100 cast-off perennials that one of
my former employers sold to me on the cheap, and I began propagating them.  I began
adding plants from my own collection at home, and finally began buying in stock plants
for the purpose of division.

Three years later, with a greenhouse built, pumps and timer and water lines running to
and from a pond on the property, I sold my first plant.  The moment I had so diligently
worked weekends and any spare time for had arrived.  Theriault's Buds & Blooms, LLC
had made its first sale.

2006 was the year things really started to take shape.  I had a
pot-in-pot (PIP...click on
the words in blue for a description) system with drip irrigation set up, plants growing
furiously, and folks actually asking what I had available.  I sold several lots of plants to
one of my employers, and I spent considerable time at the Armada Flea Market.  It was
worth it.  For being completely a part-time venture with very little in the way of resources,
I did quite well, with revenue from plant sales paying for well over 65% of all business
expenditures.  That's right...TB&B, LLC was on the road to paying for itself.

2007 changed things...dramatically.  In short, I moved.  To Oregon.  In the winter.  I was
moving to an apartment, so I couldn't pack up all my sleeping plants and take them with
me.  I left, and the spring came.  My family and friends found homes for all my various
orphaned plants over the course of the growing season.  As of this writing, even the
footprint from the greenhouse is gone.

It's a trifle sad, on one hand, to have left everything behind.  It's encouraging, on the
other hand, to have proven to myself that I do have what it takes to build and run a
successful nursery.  It's been an incredible 14 years.

After a nearly 3 year hiatus, in 2010, I managed to secure a lease on a 1,200 square
foot cold frame at a local nursery.  98 plants were moved into the house, with division
and upgrading soon following for many of them.  The nursery closed its doors at the end
of 2012, necessitating the building of a greenhouse on the property we'd purchased
mere months previously.  As of mid-2013, it was complete, and plants were moved in...as
of this update, an automated irrigation system waters the greenhouse, so I can be freed
up to do what I do best...making more plants.

Some stats:
--plants going into the winter of 2003 numbered barely 100
--plants going into the winter of 2006 numbered nearly 2,300, the vast majority being      
seedlings and divisions from the original 100, as well as seedlings and divisions from my
collection at home   
--the pot-in-pot bed I was operating was the second attempt at building one.  The first     
failed because of poor drainage
--the aforementioned bed measured 10 feet by 70 feet and accommodated 400 plants
in Nursery Supplies Classic 400 (1-gallon) pots
--all plumbing for the irrigation system was done by me
--I mixed my own potting soil in an electric cement mixer that I borrowed from family
--Sevin and Disyston were the only insecticides I used.  Insect problems were mercifully    

A couple newer stats:
--the first plants I started after arriving in Oregon were 8 Hemerocallis (daylilies) and one  
type of Siberian Iris that I had sent to me after I'd settled in...this was in 2007
--going into the winter of 2011, plants numbered close to 250...150 of them came into   
being during the summer/fall of 2010
--everything was grown at the apartment until the summer of 2010, when the lease      
was secured on the cold frame
-- going into the winter of 2017, the 800 square foot greenhouse is full and overflowing

My heartfelt thanks to my wonderful family and friends.  If not for them, I'd never have
got off the ground.  My thanks to anyone and everyone who purchased plants from us.  I
greatly appreciate it.  Progress continues on building up the Oregon operation.  It's slow,
but we're growing.  God Bless.
The sun sets on my last time
inside the greenhouse in
Michigan.  Click thumbnail for
larger view.
Daylily #2006101, now
named Midwest Sunset.  This
is my first Hemerocallis
hybrid.  Click on thumbnail for
larger view.
Propagation of daylilies in
October 2011 at the nursery.  
Click on thumbnail for larger