In 2010, we were still living in an apartment in Tigard, and everything we were growing for eventual
propagation and sale was packed onto the balcony of our second-floor apartment.  In that location, we
were lucky to get about 4 hours per day of direct sunshine.  As one might imagine, close quarters
coupled with comparatively shady conditions didn't lend themselves as ideal for plant growth and
bloom...in fact the Irises didn't really bloom at all that year.

We had purchased a number of new Iris rhizomes that May, and they were potted up when they arrived in
July.  That was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.  I needed to find more space for our
burgeoning collection...especially if I was going to be making more of what we already had.

I inquired and eventually secured a lease from my employer at the time of a 15 x 80-foot cold frame.  
Everything was moved in, and looked really tiny in all that space.  By 2012, however, the house was
nearly full.  In August 2012, I learned that the nursery was liquidating and selling off property, so I needed
to remove the nearly 1500 plants I had there.  We had just moved to our current abode in June, and our
son was born in July.  In the midst of cleaning up and "personalizing" our new house, as well as caring for
a newborn, I was ferrying carloads of plants from the nursery to the house several days per week after
work.

By the end of September, everything was here.  In October, a hedge of overgrown Arborvitae was
removed to make room for a greenhouse, measuring 20 x 40 feet.  A trifle smaller, yes, but ten and a half
feet high at the peak, rather than the six and a half feet the Aurora house stood...and the new structure
has six foot sidewalls, versus the 4 foot sidewalls of the one in Aurora.

What follows is something of a photographic journey through the Woodburn greenhouse's construction.  
Photos are thumbnails; just click on any image to view it in its full-size splendor.  
The Aurora
greenhouse in
October 2010
The Aurora
greenhouse in
February 2012
The hole remaining
after the Arborvitae
hedge was
removed...by hand
11.06.2012
The last stump after
removal 11.06.2012
Wood remaining after
all greenery was
stripped 12.01.2012
Hole in the lawn from
brush pile that took
two months to
gradually get shipped
off site in yard waste
bins 12.01.2012
The 4 corners of the
greenhouse flagged
off 12.01.2013
Sidewall posts
located and driven
into the ground
12.03.2012
Hoops and base
boards added
12.14.2012
Same thing, from the
south end 12.14.2012
Upper boards
installed on the side
walls 12.30.2012
End braces installed
12.30.2012
Double layer poly
installed 01.01.2013
Inside view under poly
from the south end
01.01.2013
4x4" end posts
installed to frame the
doors on the end
walls 01.13.2013
End wall framing
01.15.2013
9 yards of gravel
brought in for the floor
01.20.2013
End walls fully framed
01.20.2013
Flooring in and level
01.23.2013
Doors built and
installed 01.27.2013
The finished product
02.01.2013
Tenants moving in
03.03.2013
West side...Iris blocks
in early April
Daylily/Dahlia
blocks...east side in
early April
East side of the
house, from the north
end...early April
The first valve box for
automated irrigation
installed Memorial
Day weekend
Return Home